COMMISSIONED AND CERTIFIED, APRIL 2013
News and Events
- Funding awarded to develop novel RSV and PIV3 vaccines - Dec 09, 2014
- 2013/2014 Annual Report Released - Oct 03, 2014
- Canada and China Expand Collaboration in Health Education and Research - Feb 25, 2014
When InterVac becomes operational in 2012, research capabilities within VIDO-InterVac will grow exponentially.
InterVac will alleviate the current worldwide shortage of Containment Level 3 laboratory space for vaccine research and development.
Our research addresses infectious diseases of importance to human and animal health, and involves:
- developing new vaccines and improving existing ones
- improving methods for administering vaccines in both animals and humans
- improving the safety of food and water
- providing international calibre training for graduate students and scientists from around the world
Benefits of InterVac
- Canada’s strategy for dealing with infectious diseases will be strengthened.
- Working with the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Canada will be able to respond faster to emerging diseases affecting animals and humans.
- Understanding of CL3 infectious diseases and the interactions between human and animal health will be better understood.
- InterVac's distinctive design will accommodate research ranging from preclinical testing to licensing trials.
For Animal and Human Health Industries:
- Agricultural and biopharmaceutical industries that address animal and human health issues will be enhanced.
- R&D on infectious diseases of agricultural and economic significance will be strengthened.
For Saskatchewan and Canada:
- InterVac will provide unparalleled research, teaching and graduate study opportunities.
- Saskatchewan’s international leadership in vaccine development will be secured.
- About 400 construction jobs and 50 full-time research-related employment positions will be added to the province.
Funding for InterVac Construction
Funding has been provided by:
- Government of Canada
- Government of Saskatchewan
- City of Saskatoon
Grand Opening Celebration
The grand opening celebration for InterVac took place on Friday, September 16th and included the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada; the Honourable Brad Wall, Premier of Saskatchewan; His Worship Donald Atchison, Mayor or Saskatoon and special guests from industry, government and accademia.
Event sponsors for the grand opening celebration included:
- Alberta Prion Research Institute
- Alberta Innovates Bio Solutions
- Bioniche Life Sciences Inc.
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Canada's RX&D
- Prevtec Microbia
- Sanofi Pasteur
A video of the grand opening event can be viewed here.