Sylvia van Drunen Littel-van den Hurk
Dr. Sylvia van den Hurk is the Program Manager of the Viral Pathogenesis and Vaccine Development program at VIDO. She received her MSc at the University of Wageningen in the Netherlands, and PhD at University of Saskatchewan in Canada. Dr. van den Hurk’s expertise includes viral pathogenesis and vaccine development. She has published > 200 peer-reviewed manuscripts, reviews and book chapters, and 12 patents. Dr. van den Hurk is a Professor in the Department of Microbiology & Immunology at the University of Saskatchewan, and has mentored > 40 graduate students and post-doctoral fellows.
- Molecular pathogenesis of herpesviruses, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and pneumonia virus of mice (PVM)
- Vaccine development, in particular for RSV and parainfluenzavirus (PIV)
- Pathogenesis and vaccine development for respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus type 3
- Pertussis - development of a neonatal pertussis vaccine
- Shipping fever - pathogenesis and vaccine development
- Development of novel combination adjuvants