Canada’s Centre for Pandemic Research
VIDO is home to some of the most advanced high containment research capacity in the world. To strengthen Canada’s preparedness for emerging infectious diseases, we are expanding our capabilities as Canada’s Centre for Pandemic Research. This includes:
- Establishing a vaccine manufacturing facility.
- Adding containment level 4 capacity to enable work with all infectious diseases.
- Building new animal housing to expand our capacity.
These expanded capabilities will allow us to research all pathogens and rapidly develop vaccines and therapeutics to help control new infectious diseases including those that cause pandemics.
As part of this process, we are committed to consulting with our community to relay the importance of these enhancements to human and animal health and gain feedback. The consultation will inform the community and key stakeholders on the merits of this type of research and facility, key benefits to society, and how perceived risks will be managed.
To assist in this effort, we encourage people with an interest to:
- View a video of the planned upgrades
- Review the frequently asked questions
- Volunteer to participate in one of the focus groups or a public discussion board.
Upcoming Community Outreach:
Please note in the interest of public health and the safety of our community respecting the current and changing environment with COVID19 these sessions will be hosted online. As such we have developed a Code of Conduct to guide participation in these sessions.